Your best cost saving ideas

What are your best ideas for cutting costs?

I’ll kick off the list with this one because I wish I lived more in Amish country -
I recently met a couple who had their three-bedroom (wood) pole barn barndo constructed for less than 90,000 by hiring Amish contractors at something like half the price of all the other quotes they were getting. They were thrilled.

2 Likes

The best cost saving idea… build smaller (square footage) and use anything better than ‘contractor-grade’ materials… else it’ll need replacing rather quickly.

2 Likes

Our most cost savings was probably in the roof line. I love how barndos can look just like regular homes as far as roof lines, but after configuring and configuring, we went with an even (just like a real barn) roofline and had significant savings. It’s all in how important the look is to you. Also staying one level was a major cost savings. Initially we wanted a loft but between the construction itself then the extra finishing costs and upgrades to heating and cooling we stayed one level and have been fine!

3 Likes

Keeping it simple seems to be the way to go when it comes to floor plans. Early on, someone here mentioned that and we found it to be absolutely right. A few small changes can save thousands.

2 Likes

I’m wondering when trying to save actually ends up costing more. I’ve been looking into the materials required to DIY a bed frame and a pizza oven and I’m thinking that at least one of those would be cheaper if I just paid for the complete product instead of inflated-price materials.

1 Like

Right! Prices have been insane lately. Refurbishing might be the best bet for a few items.

1 Like

Time to break out the carpentry tools!

1 Like