What's the right size barndominium?

I love that you can reasonably go big with a barndominium, but when does it become too much of a cost to cool and heat?
Maybe it just comes down to having the right cooling and heating? I know radiant floor heating is becoming popular and might be one solution.

2 Likes

So do you build for now (maybe you have children) or do you build for the future?

2 Likes

Don’t forget that lower ceilings mean a barndo that is easier to heat. There are ways around the heating and cooling issues without having to lose much on size.

1 Like

Lower ceilings work in some parts but I like the open feel of a high ceiling in the main area.
I guess unused bedrooms could always be closed off until they’re needed someday?

1 Like

Right size …is big enough for your needs today and the foreseeable future. If that is not real clear, may design in the ability to expand as needed.

For us, we only use about half of our current <home. Looking down the road, we decided to go bigger with the barndo.

2 Likes

You can also leave spare rooms relatively unfinished so you can do whatever you would like to with them later on when you have the need to use them.

1 Like

Yeah. Spare rooms might be the way to go. Thank you for the ideas!

1 Like