What stage are you in?

Are you still doing your research, buying the land, somewhere in the construction process, or sitting at home on the sofa and enjoying your barndominium?

3 Likes

We have been in our barndo a week! Its taking us a while to get settled in due to work/school/baseball….but we LOVE it! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Baseball always takes priority!
I’m so glad everything worked out.

1 Like

It must feel so nice to finally have everything done. Or the majority of it… Do you have a lot of projects that you’ll be working on for a while still? @Ourheirloomlife

1 Like

Construction stage. Shop is built. House - concrete forms were placed, slab plumbing today

2 Likes

We have purchased the land and have 15+ months before we can start any type of build. This will give us time to clear the property and decide where to build, put in road and maybe build a fence. We are a little remote from most barndo builders, so trying to find a reliable one is becoming an issue.

1 Like

It’s always exciting to see those first stages. Makes it all that more real.

1 Like

How remote? I know a few people have struggled in the beginning before finally finding a good contractor.

Our property is in Evant, Texas about 150 southwest of Dallas/Ft. Worth area and 100+ miles northwest of Waco. Most builders I have talked to say we are right out of their service area, and with construction being what it is with a lot of work and few skilled laborers they are not looking to expand their territory. Fortunately I have a lot of time to keep looking as we can not start anything until late 2022.

If you’re really up for a challenge, this is an interesting article:

Good luck and hoping your new build is seamless! We bought land in TN in Feb 2021 and are hoping to go back to visit by year end to establish infrastructure.

Question I have……With the supply chains in a complete log jam, what are you new builders experiencing with regards to response from builders you have left VMs with, wait time for supplies, and most importantly ~ workers to do the work?

Thank you for any insight you may be able to provide!

Regards from Upstate NYer~

BethP

4 Likes

Not too bad! A few laundry room cabinets to install but other than that I hope not :joy:

3 Likes

Yay!! So exciting!!! Moving right along!

2 Likes

That timeline should take some of the pressure off. Just keep digging at it a little at a time. Someone will pop up.
Have you thought about splitting up the work between smaller contractors?

Yes, that is my next avenue to consider. I am not sure if I am comfortable being the GC, but is something a may have to consider.

It’s a little intimidating but a few on here have gone that route. You should be able to find some good advice if you need it.

1 Like

Being the GC takes a little work and considerable time (if it’s your first) but not overly difficult… imo. It requires some coordinating and managing skills. Good communication is important. Ask lots of questions and solicit opinions from sub- contractors.

Sometimes, it feels like we’ve paving our own path.

2 Likes

I will be meeting with a barndo builder out of Hamilton that shows a lot of potential later in the month. Fingers crossed he can fill the bill.

2 Likes

I’m hoping for the best for you! It’s great to find someone who actually does barndos.

1 Like