What made you go Barndo?

I knew I had to have one when I realized the utility and durability. It’s like the Ford truck of houses!

What was the “THAT is what I want!” moment for you?

2 Likes

For me, it’s the open space which is always a sight for sore eyes, and knowing that you have abundant fresh air to breathe. I’m not really a fan of houses with small spaces. I’ve always enjoyed living in a property where I can be free to move and add more things that I want.

4 Likes

The lower price tag for sure. I was able to leave some more room in the budget for other things I wanted to add like some better appliances.

5 Likes

Seeing so many options, configurations. Could make it rustic, Modern, classic, coastal, mission…anything your soul is missing. LOL

4 Likes

Finally getting to build on our farm and get out of the city. My friend did the same. Hubby said he wanted to build this way. I said, I told you my friend was building this way! Price and quality!

2 Likes

It’s definitely about the affordability and quality for us. It’s the best of both worlds.

3 Likes

Looks like price and quality are coming out on top, although not the only reasons by far.

1 Like

I didn’t even know this style of home had a name when I started designing ours. I’ve built and maintained many manufacturing facilities over my career and knew our final home was going to be built based on everything I’ve learned over the years. I wanted my garage to be big enough for my toys, and allow space to work. A lift is mandatory as well. Getting that much space and making it match the house was extremely expensive. I designed a metal building shop/garage and made the house match it. I was explaining what I wanted to do to a builder and he informed me they are called barndominiums. Mine is not what most people think of because it is two buildings with the shop and house in separate buildings, but both are steel frame with metal siding, so it is considered a barndominium according to builders, and real estate professionals. The strength of the building, and durability of the materials were my main reasons for going this route. Not having any load bearing walls or columns inside the building was the next most important reason for doing this.

2 Likes

Yes yes and yes! We chose budget friendly on a lot of things but I opted for a 36in gas range for the kitchen because we had that extra wiggle room in the budget!

1 Like

The biggest factor for us was cost. Especially now since building prices are absolutely insane. We priced a traditional house first, actually the same exact house and finishings we built in 2019 and it was $40 more a sq ft than what we paid previously. So in my head I could not justify paying more money for a smaller house. Going barndo we were able to have almost the same amount of sq ft for just about $100k less than a traditional. I love the style so it was a no brainer for me!

2 Likes

Cost was the biggest factor for me, but as time goes on I’ve really learned that the durability is the most important benefit. Not having to deal with structural issues as the years go by has been a big money and stress saver!

4 Likes

I’m with you on that! The fewer issues to pop up over time, the better.

3 Likes

It will be nice to be able to settle into a place that isn’t going to need frequent maintenance. I can already feel the bliss.

2 Likes

They’ve been gaining a lot of value lately and should be easy to sell. That’s another benefit that’s hard to ignore. Not that I would ever sell mine, but you never know.

1 Like