What exactly are Barndominiums?

Been hearing about Barndominiums lately, but, what exactly are they made of and how are they built?

Barndominium is a steel and metal building that has been converted into a residential dwelling. Metal exterior are ready-made and they are assembled to build the structure. Simply put, they are like barn houses but made of steel and metal. You can even add a garage or a workshop if you need one.

It’s a metal barn shell with a house framed up on the inside. From the outside they have a definite barn-type look but on the interior they look more or less like any other type of house.

I just call them home sweet home.
:house_with_garden:

I think everyone has summed it up.
They’re very sturdy homes. Many tend to have a larger footprint so there’s more space to work with inside which gives you a lot of options for what you want to do with that space.

They’re great for larger families or anyone who needs some workspace, extra garage space, or really anything you can dream up.

Hi. Can a barndominium be customized for various floor plans like a partial second floor with small balconies and ground floor other than a rectangle shape? Any problem with masonry fascia which is required where I’ll be moving?

1 Like

Did some research on my own and checked out some photos as well, and, now I understand why barndominiums are becoming a thing. How long have you guys been living on one?

I can’t speak to the masonry fascia, but you can get metal pole barns built to accommodate almost any kind of floor plan that you might want. Just check with a custom builder.

Masonry fascia required…
Is this in a home owners association / subdivision …or a condition required by the property seller?

I haven’t heard of codes / building departments requiring masonry on an exterior.

It sounds like a homeowners’ association thing to me. Or a historic district.
Move away from the meddlesome humans :wink:

Masonry fascia might require a different type of exterior? I’d look into it.

You can use faux stone veneer panels. They just screw or glue to the metal siding. It’s expensive if you have to do the whole building. You can actually brick the exterior if you want. You’ll need to add a brick ledge on the slab, and you’ll have to account for the extra deep window and door sills.

2 Likes

It’s the windowsills I’ve been wondering about ever since the mention of masonry.

I don’t think it would be a big deal. The windows are installed in the metal with steel framing. I’m only thinking of metal buildings here. The brick veneer could still be attached to the outside very similar to a wood frame house. The depth of the window ledges will be a lot more. Ours will be over 12 inches on the inside due to how I plan to construct the inside walls (2x4 framing inside the Z girts). If you add brick on the outside, you will simply have a ledge outside as well. I look at the inside ledge as a nice window seat in every window.

1 Like

That is living the dream, especially if those window seats have a nice view.

I don’t think a brick veneer would be out of the question either. An added expense - yes, but not impossible.

1 Like

That makes a lot of sense. And window seats are a perfect way to utilize the extra ledge space. I like how you think!

1 Like