What do I need to know about buying and owning land?

Hello all! We are in the land research phase of our journey. We have never been homeowners, just renters. So we know virtually nothing about owning a home or owning land. I have a lot of books about homesteading, but none about looking for and buying land and owning it. I do know that we’ll need to get a percolation test, and make sure it’s coded for a home and out buildings. We would like to own a significant amount of land (50-100 acres). What were surprises you came across when finding and buying your land? What should we avoid? What is an absolute must?
Thank you!

I hope you find the perfect land!
As for surprises, the cost of getting utilities to the property or to the house on the property. That was an eye-opener for me.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I’ve been thinking about that one. I’m hoping we find somewhere that power is run up to the access road or something like that. All depends on where we find the land I guess.

1 Like

Welcome to the experience!
There are a lot of little things. Think about sunlight, well and water access, drainage and flooding, road access, the general area…
What are your plans for all that acreage? Because it already sounds like you’re going to need a tractor :grin:

2 Likes

You’ll find something. Have you looked at any yet?

Investigate what you need to do to drill a well and obtain water rights. Most states have well logs available for adjacent properties or just contact a local driller. For normal residential use 15 gpm is usually sufficient. The going rate for well drilling and casing in Western Montana is $52 per foot with about another $10k for the pump and related equipment.

2 Likes

We haven’t been seriously looking yet, there are a few places here in Utah, and a few in Idaho that have caught our eye. For the land we want to begin farming both plants and animals, so yup definitely will need a tractor :smiley:

1 Like

Sometimes, I think this site should be called barndominium and tractor life :joy:
I love it!

3 Likes

I imagine you all will be rural, we are 250 ft off of the road so to bring electricity this far back was not cheap (we built 20 years ago). Of course the electric company now has a right of way to check the lines and poles