Unexpected Expenses While Building

We are almost to the drywall stage….we are to the point of getting the electrical and plumbing inspected and having the insulation blown in. We have kept a running total of costs on a spreadsheet. Our unexpected expenses have majorly come from digging and running lines underground. Conduit prices are outrageous right now so keep this in mind since usually barndos are located away from main roads and power and water lines! Have you run into unexpected expenses? Or are you anticipating any??

Those lines will add to the bill quickly!
I set aside an extra 15% for unexpected expenses. If it goes beyond that, I’m going to be out there with a hammer and nails finishing the job myself.

1 Like

That is super smart, we did the same as far as having a cushion for unexpected items but with prices going up on every little thing, that amount has been eaten up pretty quick!

1 Like

It’s one of those unfortunately expected things I think. Our shell fabrication went up in price because of the cost of materials. That hurt. Luckily, we’re not too far from the power lines. Still, I’m worried something else will come up.

2 Likes

Yeah. I’ll probably cut back on a couple of luxury items to still come in under budget. The sacrifices we make!

1 Like

Yep, added 20%… just in case. We’ve been watching for and buying bargains or on-sale items in advance. But running short on storage area. LOL. Also decided we are in no hurry to wastefully spend money. A 6x6 x10’ PT post was $56/ea about 8 weeks back… nope! Now they are $34… not yet. I think a big chill is coming and hoping to find some really good sales.

3 Likes

I agree! I think at some point it has to give! We were lucky enough to have gotten the bulk of our materials before the prices really increased. We pre-bought a lot of things beforehand but I feel you on the storage space….we are busting at the seams trying to keep everything until they need it, but we didn’t want to over pay in places we could avoid or have to wait for months to get something essential to us moving in! I was shocked as we have been buying things that are now months out from availability!

3 Likes

Sales are always a good idea. Finding something at a good price feels like winning the lotto right now. I don’t even want to think about storage space!

2 Likes

Here’s hoping for relatively few new surprises from here on out.

2 Likes

That’s something I can approve of!

1 Like