Two story barn with living quarters

Has anyone built a two story barn with living quarters upstairs?? I am having a hard time finding plans for this beyond some barn kits which are way too expensive (we are doing most of the work ourselves). We would like to have a metal frame constructed and do cement boards on the outside but the one guy I talked to said he couldn’t support living quarters upstairs… any thoughts?? ! The attached pictures are what I would like the shell of the barn to look like with a deck. I looked for an architect to help but it was ridiculously expensive!

Have you seen the one mentioned in this thread?

I have not. I will take a look. Thanks!

I didn’t see this one but I think Thai same group built the barn I had in the picture. They did not provide help in my state :cry:

It’s so difficult to find someone locally sometimes. Don’t give up hope!

1 Like

I wonder why they were having issues with living quarters upstairs. Are you wanting a completely open area on the first floor?

I just ran across this. I don’t know if they have your exact floorplan, but they might be helpful:

https://www.houseplans.net/barn-house-plans/

1 Like

I’ve seen that site! They have a few nice plans.

Not completely open. I think it had more to do with the code to which they built the steel frame. We are in a hurricane area… not sure if they even do those.

1 Like

Yeah. I was trying to figure out what would be stopping them. It’s the only thing I could think of.

It’s not that much different than a commercial building with a lobby. There has to be someone out there who is willing to work with it. Hopefully, anyway!

1 Like