Slab has been poured

Yeah!! :grin:

20211011_120908|666x500

1 Like

Congrats!
That’s an amazing location too.

Sweet! It feels so much more real once that concrete is poured, doesn’t it?

What a view!!! So exciting to be started!

Thank you! And YES, it is really going to happen.

2 Likes

When does the next stage start?

Forming the wrap around porch now. Building arrives the 28th and ‘barn raising’ a couple weeks later. Hope to be “dried-in” before the end of the year.

3 Likes

The 28th isn’t too far off! Here’s hoping that everything goes smoothly. Although I’m sure it will. From what I’ve seen, you have it all planned out and under control.

1 Like

It’s time to start the countdown!

1 Like

It looks like I got back to this thread just in time for the 28th. I hope everything is off to a good start without any unnecessary delays!

1 Like

How is it going so far? I love this part.

It is progressing. We had to pour the wrap around porch in two halves… first half was poured on the 26th… second half the other day, on the 5th.

Barndo kit arrived on the 28th, but the semi was a loooong wheel base model (super sleeper cab) and could not make the turn onto our street. A neighbor helped out - BIGTIME! …and allowed the semi to offload in his driveway. This neighbor had two large farm tractors and a diesel truck with a goose neck trailer. One tractor off loaded the semi and set materials on the goose neck. We strapped it down and shuttled the load down the road and up the hill… about 3/4 mile. The second tractor off loaded the goose neck and placed materials for the build. Now, repeat this another 6 times.

Another hiccup (er… serious aggrevation) was the weight of each bundle. I spec’d (and contracted) 1300lbs as MAX weight for each bundle. FWIW the smallest allowable bundle per WorldWide could be 1000lbs max… so I didn’t think 1300 would be an issue. BUT… many of the bundles exceeded 1800lbs and we had to un-bundle on the semi trailer and load onto the tractor’s forks by hand. Grrr…

Very time consuming… a 3 hour unloading job quickly devoured more than 14 hours.

Hindsight… I should have requested two separate loads since the volume of materials appears to have influenced the shipping departments’ decision to violate the agreed upon bundle size. I also should have requested delivery from a standard semi as non-sleeper cabs can and have easily make the turn. Finally, I should have rented an off road fork truck since they can easily handle 3000lb plus loads.

Anyway… it is moving forward. The builder dropped by and will set the posts shortly before Thanksgiving. We may be dried in before Christmas!


3 Likes

Good neighbors are worth more than anything.
I’m glad you found a way through the obstacles. I honestly don’t know what I would have done at the point of discovering that the sleeper couldn’t get down the street.

1 Like

Being the “GC” I’ve made several new acquaintances. One being the owner of the excavation company that cleared the top of my hill. I inquired about his capabilities in 2019 and he is a newer startup company with several pieces of moderately sized earth moving equipment… which requires large trucks equipped with a fifth wheel and trailer to shuttle that equipment around.

Anyway, I had to call him earlier this year for more dirt work… and was thinking I may need to call him again to just move that trailer down the road and back again when we finished unloading.

We managed to get the job done without the assistance… but a possible solution if needed. The bigger issue would have been timing… since it would have been a ‘I need this NOW’ type of request.

For me, it is second nature to quickly assess what someone’s capabilites are, what tools or equipment do they own and/or have access to, and who else do they know.

1 Like

It’s looking good so far. And that is the perfect spot. It looks like it will be incredibly peaceful once the construction settles down. I bet you could have a cup of coffee on the porch in the mornings and watch deer go by.

2 Likes

That’s a good approach. Always know what is available and who it’s available through.

2 Likes

Adding a few details on the concrete…

Expansion joints were cut the morning after the monolithic slab was poured. To seal these cuts, since they run out the edge of the slab, we used foam to form a dam and Sikaflex under the walls. This will prevent water or ants from entering the building.

Sika is designed to flow like thick syrup and bonds well to the concrete. It comes in a tube, like caulk or silicone sealant, only larger, and is dispensed with a large caulk gun. While Sikaflex is a very good product, it suffers from poorly designed packaging… 2 of 5 tubes leaked around the backside of the piston during use. One was so bad, I ended up throwing about half the product away with the defunct tube. Then spent another 20 minutes cleaning up the mess.

Anyway, attached are 2 pictures. One shows the bead after it was cured (overnight). Second is after slicing the bead smooth with the concrete slab… zoom in to see how Sika flowed into the crevices left from the cutting.


1 Like

The Sikaflex seems interesting, not counting the questionable packaging. I like anything that saves on hassle down the line.

That’s looking good!