Show me your front doors!

I think I’ve settled on this one, myself. A little inspiration wouldn’t hurt.

2 Likes

Mine is really drab compared to that! I’ll have to find a picture.

1 Like

You can kind of see ours here…. I originally was going to paint it black but I think I’m keep it white and paint the trim black kind of how our windows are trimmed out.

3 Likes

Those are the perfect doors for that house :slightly_smiling_face:
They should look good with the trim.

1 Like

Those are picture perfect! They go really nicely with the rest.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I knew with this house I wanted a double door and I just love them!

1 Like

Double doors definitely make a statement. They’re also practical for when you’re trying to get furniture in through the front without having to take the house apart.

3 Likes

Practicality is always a winner. Especially if it manages to look stunning in the process.

I like that 21 lite style. :smiley:

My “boss” chose a fiberglass door with a 36" clear window with mini blinds. The door will be shielded from rain but will catch some sun in the late afternoon… so construction had to be either smooth steel or fiberglass with wood grain (or rather expensive wood veneer on steel).

Her choice for the main entry, struck a nice balance keeping that clean and classic appearance of typical country life with a touch of charm.

We also chose french doors with full clear lites in the master and the great room. And added tall & slender, picture window “side lites” to the great room …instead of the uber-expensive glass wall doors… to highlight the beautiful views.

Catalog photo…

4 Likes

I didn’t even know there was a name for the little windows next to a door. I’ve always liked the style, though. And french doors, I absolutely love. We won’t have any in our barndominium, but that’s only because we cut costs when it came to choosing doors, that and we can’t possibly fit absolutely everything that I wish we could!

2 Likes

Speaking of side lites (or transom windows) they are just expensive.

One ‘big name’ business (which was extremely proud of their products…$$$!), carried HINGED side lites in varous styles to match their doors. Novel! It looked like a typical side lite but was constructed just like a mini french door and allowed another 8-10" of clearance to get furniture in/out. …but very expensive.

Working within our budget… we picked up two Anderson picture windows and two Masonite(?) french doors …and spent about the same money as what that other business wanted for one door with a hinged side lite!

3 Likes

The hinges would be really convenient.

It’s definitely worth shopping around, especially for doors. I have seen some absolutely insane prices on a few. I am not spending the same price on a front door as I could to get a brand new, albeit low-end, car!

3 Likes

I wonder how difficult it would be to create some of those for someone with basic woodworking experience. I hate some of the price gouging that goes on.

2 Likes

It’s definitely possible with some patience.

1 Like

I like the window(s) on that door. I wonder how difficult it would be to build a door that is reinforced, though.

1 Like

Now, that could be a real project.

1 Like

Safe doors are available, as is bullet resistant glass… though both are rather expensive.

Commercial doors with robust hinges are readily available and would probably withstand more than a few good kicks.

2 Likes

I was thinking that affixing a metal panel might be an option but even YouTube doesn’t seem to have anything on it so now I’m wondering how crazy of an idea it is.

There should be some sort of solution out there.

1 Like

:laughing:
Maybe just something like this as a compromise.

2 Likes

That and a fairly sturdy door could work better than a lot of front doors that I’ve seen!

1 Like