Proven lighting options

What are some proven lighting options for those high ceilings? I would like ceiling fans, but I an unsure if they would work in a very tall structure.
Any suggestions welcome on this topic.

1 Like

Ceiling fans are always good to have but I wouldn’t depend on them for anything other than enhancing the effectiveness of air conditioning and heating when they’re up that high.

Recessed lighting is always nice for a ceiling but a pain to change out. Chandeliers are a little easier to reach.

Have you considered recessed wall lighting or bringing the sunlight in with reflectors to save on hassle later?

1 Like

Wow. I have never heard of that tube thing. Very cool! Something to think about for sure.

1 Like

It’s too bad that sunlight can’t be bottled to be used at night.
I guess solar panel systems and lightbulbs are as close as we’re going to get to that dream. It’s technically sunlight that way…

2 Likes

Yeah. It’s a little out of the ordinary, but I’m guessing there are a few builds it is absolutely made for.

1 Like

I ordered high bay LED lights for the shop portion. They work extremely well in a manufacturing environment. The residential side will likely be standard residential lighting. We didn’t go with high eave heights on the residential side because I felt it was a waste of money and energy.

2 Likes

High eaves can be really nice aesthetically but I agree that they’re not very practical from an energy standpoint.

Most of my lighting concerns really come down to the type of bulb (soft versus that harsher white lighting), so I haven’t been too super worried about lighting other than making sure it won’t be in a spot that blinds people.

3 Likes

Still toying with indirect lighting using recessed lights pointed towards the cathedral ceiling. We planned on using LED’s throughout to reduce the load on the solar system but I do not like LED’s rather limited dimming capabilities. For the great room only… run three parallel circuits each operating redundant fixtures with different output bulbs. This would function kind of like the ‘low, med, and high’ table lights, but with greater flexibilty using different bulbs… 10w mood lighting (color?), 60w soft white for most activity, and 100w bright white when cleaning or to find that eye glass screw I dropped. :woozy_face:

2 Likes

LEDs will never be a favorite of mine. They never seem to light things up as well as they claim but at least they don’t produce much heat. I would always go with “real lighting” for the 100 watt option. That or install a searchlight for when I really need to see something :laughing:

LEDs make great nightlights though. There’s no more having to choose between stumbling around in the dark or going temporarily blind when you turn a light on in the middle of the night.

1 Like

They are good for that! They just seem to have a shorter fall off than traditional lighting. It doesn’t reach as far before that brightness stops working well enough to do much of anything.

1 Like

Have you made any decisions yet?