Prefabricated or Custom

When building a barndominium, would you go for prefabricated kits or would you rather have it custom made?

2 Likes

I guess if you want to finish the project a little faster, you go for prefabricated kits, otherwise, I my choice would be custom built since you can be the “boss” when it comes to designing. For me, there’s just that feeling of satisfaction when your design ideas come to life.

2 Likes

My question is, if you go prefab, does that mean the footprint, then you plan the guts? I know my hubby would know, but I’m learning.

1 Like

If you want something unique or really have a certain idea in mind, I’d go custom absolutely.

2 Likes

You can save a lot of hassle and time with a prefab and there are a decent number to choose from. You might find one that is really close to what you want.

But will you be happy with your compromise in the long run? That’s the real question to think about.

2 Likes

I know hubby wants a simple roof. I’m looking at 2000 sq foot, square or rectangle shape. 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths. Does that sound like a prefab possibility? I’m assuming that you plan the inside and it’s not part of the prefab? We do want a basement with living space on one level, floor. Can y’all suggest something?

3 Likes

The kits are great because you can still do customizations where you want to but can avoid a lot of headaches in the basic building process. I think about it like it’s the difference between making your own pasta and buying it dried from the store. Are you really going to notice the difference?

3 Likes

Lol! I love the pasta reference.
As long as the customization required can be done within the prefab, it really is a timesaver.

1 Like

That definitely sounds like something that could be done with a prefab.
Generally, the inside is entirely up to you.

Have you had a chance to check out the floor plans here?

2 Likes

I went through all those floorplans when I saw them! I love getting ideas from everywhere.

1 Like

My buildings are technically pre-fab. They will be kitted at the fabricators shop. Every piece of steel cut, columns cut and welded, etc. they will ship all of it to the site and erect it. Only the outside sheathing and roof is cut on site, and even those have a cut schedule to eliminate waste. You need to talk with the metal building fabricators first. They have pre-engineered sizes that will save money on engineering. In my case, the fabricator told me there would be minimal charges required if we limited the spans at 50 ft. So our maximum width is 50ft. but can be as long as we want. You can do custom of any width you want, and make as many angles as you want, but every turn, and custom dimension equals money.

2 Likes

That’s great information! I’m sure there is a ton that can still be done with 50-ft spans. It’s all about how you piece it together.

2 Likes

Have you come closer to a decision?
I know it took me a while to settle on the right design. Then that idea went through a few changes while working with a contractor. It was all worth it.

2 Likes

Yes, I have looked at that plan. My wish from the beginning is to have the living area, including living room, dining and kitchen with three sides windows on one end and the master, including the master bath, with three sides windows on the other end. There would be a hall down the middle of the house from the living area to the master. Along the hall on one side, would be two bedrooms. The other side of the hall, behind the kitchen, would be laundry, pantry, mud room and hall bath. Hubby wants bookend chimneys, one in living area and one in the master.

3 Likes

That seems like it could come together really well, especially with the chimneys and keeping everything organized (every mudroom would be next to the laundry in a perfect world).

3 Likes

Yes! Keeping my farmer hubby from going through the house with all that farm dirt! I am tired of dragging the laundry from one end of the house through the living area to the other end to the laundry room, then hauling the clean laundry back to the our bedroom at the other end of the house. I’m hoping I can go just up the hall to the laundry room!

2 Likes

Right! I’m all about simplifying life. The fewer messes that are made in the first place, the fewer there are to deal with.

1 Like